Friday, March 8, 2013

February in Seattle

Kubota Garden February 2013

Garrya issaquahensis (silk-tassel) at the Washington Park Arboretum February 2013

Hamamelis x intermedia (witch-hazel) at High Point February 2013

Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas fir) in Mt Baker February 2013

February 2013 in Seattle was warmer & much drier than normal. The mean temperature was 44.4F/6.9C. The normal mean temperature is 43.4F/6.3C. The highest temperature was 56F/13.3C, the lowest 34F/1.1C.   Total precipitation was 1.58 inches.  Normal precipitation is 3.5 inches. There were 2 days with rain, 23 days with light rain, 15 days with fog (4 of them with visibility at less than 1/4 mile) 4 days with haze, 23 cloudy days, 5 partly cloudy days & no fair days. However, there were many brief periods of sun.

Crocus, Hepatica (liverwort) miniature Narcissus & Primula (primrose) began to bloom.  Because many of the lightly rainy days had only occasional showers & the temperatures were not very cold, I was able to finish cutting dead branches & perennial stalks, & raking up leaves. My house in Mt Baker went back on the market on February 25 & had 2 offers to buy.  Meanwhile, digging began for the foundation of the new house at Rainier Vista in the Rainier Valley, slightly less than a mile away.

2 comments:

Patty said...

It looks like things are starting to green up in Seattle. You mention you are moving - tell me it is not from that wonderful treed property you post about frequently - my heart would break.

Jordan Jackson said...

I'm afraid so, although the Cascadia Garden is more open than treed. My parents & I moved here in March of 1961. I'm looking forward to my next garden, which will be an entirely new construction. They are about to pour the foundation for the house now. For awhile, I'll have to be content with my plot in a community garden.