Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas Fir) & Thuja plicata (Western Red Cedar) in Schmitz Preserve Park October 2011
Acer macrophyllum (Bigleaf Maple) in Schmitz Preserve Park October 2011
Polypodium glycyrrhiza (Licorice Fern) in Schmitz Preserve Park October 2011
Blechnum spicant (Deer Fern) in Schmitz Preserve Park October 2011
SW Admiral Way Bridge over Schmitz Preserve Park October 2011
Schmitz Preserve Park in West Seattle is a natural wonder. It covers 53 acres in a ravine filled with old growth forest, creeks, trails & a multitude of native plants. Unfortunately, the Inaugural Day Storm of 1993 blew down several of the remaining old growth trees in the park, leaving precious few. A larger old growth forest (120 acres) exists in Seward Park & some old growth trees can be found in Lincoln Park in a more park-like setting. Schmitz Preserve was donated to the city in pieces between 1908 & 1912. The largest portion (30 acres) came from Ferdinand Schmitz, who served on the park commission at that time. It was Schmitz's idea to preserve part of the rapidly disappearing forest in its natural state. Additions to the park were purchased in 1930, 1947, and 1958. From the park, it is possible to walk down the ravine, past Schmitz Park Elementary School, through the Alki Playground to the Alki business district & Alki Beach Park.