Friday, January 7, 2011

December Garden Pictures & Bloom Times

Collards December 2010

Corylus avellana 'Contorta' December 2010

Crows, clouds, Cascades December 2010

Helleborus argutifolius December 2010

Pieris japonica 'Variegata' December 2010

To see a slideshow of more December pictures, click on the link: December Garden Pictures.

Very little began to bloom in my garden in December.  I included dates from previous years.  If you have plants that bloom in December in Seattle, please let me know.  December was wetter & warmer than usual, although the last few days were below freezing at night with frost on the ground throughout the day.  Leaf & flower buds began to form on many plants.  New shoots of Helleborus x hybridus grew to 3 inches.  Flower buds of Helleborus argutifolius & Helleborus x sternii were the size of my thumb.  Flower buds of Magnolia stellata were fuzzy gray olives.  Sedum 'Matrona', 'Brilliant' & 'Autumn Joy' were delicate, gray rosettes densely clustered on the ground.  Hemerocallis foliage emerged.  Still-very-solid catkins of Corylus avellana 'Contorta' began to droop from twisted branches.  

December Bloom Times
12-22-10  Erica x darleyensis 'Mary Ellen' 1-18-10, 12-05-08
12-27-10  Cyclamen coum 1-06-10, 12-05-08, 1-01-08
12-28-10  Primula x juliana ‘Wanda’ 1-28-10, 2-14-09

2 comments:

Beyond My Garden said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and am glad to have discovered it this morning. As I have told my Seattle cousin, I am sometimes jealous of your growing climate. (though I am partial to our WV landscape.) I've had fun seeing the differences.

Jordan Jackson said...

Thanks for your comments & for following my blog. I would surely follow yours, if you had one. We do have an excellent climate for gardening, although I wish we had more summer rain. West Virginia is a beautiful state.