Friday, January 7, 2011

December Garden Pictures & Bloom Times

Collards December 2010

Corylus avellana 'Contorta' December 2010

Crows, clouds, Cascades December 2010

Helleborus argutifolius December 2010

Pieris japonica 'Variegata' December 2010

Very little began to bloom in my garden in December.  I included dates from previous years.  If you have plants that bloom in December in Seattle, please let me know.  December was wetter & warmer than usual, although the last few days were below freezing at night with frost on the ground throughout the day.  Leaf & flower buds began to form on many plants.  New shoots of Helleborus x hybridus grew to 3 inches.  Flower buds of Helleborus argutifolius & Helleborus x sternii were the size of my thumb.  Flower buds of Magnolia stellata were fuzzy gray olives.  Sedum 'Matrona', 'Brilliant' & 'Autumn Joy' were delicate, gray rosettes densely clustered on the ground.  Hemerocallis foliage emerged.  Still-very-solid catkins of Corylus avellana 'Contorta' began to droop from twisted branches.  

December Bloom Times
12-22-10  Erica x darleyensis 'Mary Ellen' 1-18-10, 12-05-08
12-27-10  Cyclamen coum 1-06-10, 12-05-08, 1-01-08
12-28-10  Primula x juliana ‘Wanda’ 1-28-10, 2-14-09

2 comments:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and am glad to have discovered it this morning. As I have told my Seattle cousin, I am sometimes jealous of your growing climate. (though I am partial to our WV landscape.) I've had fun seeing the differences.

Jordan Jackson said...

Thanks for your comments & for following my blog. I would surely follow yours, if you had one. We do have an excellent climate for gardening, although I wish we had more summer rain. West Virginia is a beautiful state.